- Composting diverts our food scraps from landfills and incinerators
- Our landfills are filling up, leading to longer and longer hauling distances, higher greenhouse gas emissions, higher waste management costs, and less space available for our trash. Composting could cut back our solid waste stream by as much as 33% (epa.gov).
- When food scraps are left in a landfill or incinerated they release methane. Methane gas is 20 times more potent a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide (epa.gov).
- Composting is a sustainable alternative that puts the nutrients from our food scraps back into the earth and, eventually, our food system by using the finished compost as a fertilizer for local farms.
- Composting is the final step to completing a truly sustainable food cycle system.
The short answer…A LOT! You can compost almost anything from the earth, including:
* Egg Shells
* Fruit Peels
* Coffee grounds and filter
* Tea bags
* Carbs like bread and pasta
* Compostable goods
* Paper, paper towels
* Meat, bones, fish, shells
* Dairy, cheese, butter, yogurt
For a more comprehensive list, click here.
You bet! After you’ve been a crewmember for 6 months (and every 6 months after that), you’ll be eligible to receive high grade, food waste compost that YOU helped to make absolutely FREE!
Since not everyone wants their compost back, we’ll send an email every 6 months to let you know that compost is available. All you have to do is email us back saying you’d like some, and we’ll deliver it on your next weekly pickup day. It’s that easy!
Please note: If you receive your compost collection service through your municipality or building, you may not be eligible for free compost. For specific info, please contact us.
In the past, Composting was a daunting task that required patience and determination to be successful.
Now, The Compost Crew makes Composting easy by doing all of the dirty work for you! When you sign up for our service, we deliver a bin and clean it out weekly. All you have to do is place your food scraps in the bin rather than your trash or garbage disposal, and we take care of the rest at a local composting facility.
Crewmembers usually leave the bin in the garage or next to the house, keeping a smaller bin in the kitchen. And, though the final decision on how to use our service is up to our crewmembers, we are happy to provide assistance and/or advice as needed.
Please note: If you are part of a municipal collection service, there are no fees associated with your service.
Please note: Registration for municipal services is a different process, and if you are part of one, you should have/will be receiving separate registration instructions.
Please note: If you are part of a municipal service, this option is not available.